Sunday 16 October 2011

Listen!

When I ask you to listen to me and you start by giving advice, you have not done what I asked,

When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell my why I shouldn't feel like that, you are trampling on my feelings.

When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do something to solve my problems, you have failed me, strange as that may seem.

Listen, all that I asked was that you listen, not talk or do - just hear me. Advice is cheap and I can do for myself. I am not helpless. Maybe discouraged and faltering but not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself, you contribute to my fear and weakness

But when you accept as a simple fact that I do feel what I feel, no matter how irrational, then I can stop trying to convince you and set about the business of understanding what is behind this irrational feeling.

When that's clear the answers are obvious and I don't need advice. Irrational Feelings make sense when you understand what's behind them.

So please listen and just hear me.

And if you want to talk, wait a minute for your turn, and I'll listen to you.


Anon



No comments:

Post a Comment